Monday, February 29, 2016

Preterm labor with Twins


Preterm labor is something you never want, but with twins it can be very dangerous. Due to having two little bodies inside you instead of one, the babies development is very important and the stages of development is different than with a singleton. I went into preterm labor at 28 weeks, since this was my first pregnancy I wasn't sure if it was preterm labor or not but I knew something didn't feel right. Women you know your body better than anyone else, no matter what anyone tells you if you feel something isn't right or could be wrong go to the doctors immediately. I went to the hospital and they immediately took me to labor and delivery for observation. The put a heart monitor for each baby on my belly and also a contraction monitor. After a few hours, they noticed that my contractions were not slowly and I was starting to dilate. Wanting to stop the contractions before I dilated anymore I was put on Magnesium Sulfate in a large dose at first then a slower dose for 24 hours. Let me just tell you I would never wish this medication on anyone, not even my worst enemy. I felt like my whole body was alight. I was also put on antibiotics in case I would have to deliver, which burned like hell fire going through my arm. Lastly, I was given two corticosteroid shots to help accelerate the lung and brain development  of the babies. You are given one shot and the given the other shot 12 hours later. It is a lot for you body to process when you are given mag sulfate, antibiotics, fluids and a corticosterioid shot all at the same time. Lets just say I had myself a breakdown in front of the nurses. I was later given a catheter for urine collection, again I say would not wish this on my worst enemy considering I had to get the catheter place twice in the same day. Thankfully by the end of the second day being there I was able to get the catheter removed and was able to come off the Magnesium Sulfate. I was only at the hospital for three days, I was still having contractions but the were minor and were not coming every 3-5 mins. I was thankful that I did not go into preterm labor again and was able to make it to my scheduled c-section date. I was very thankful that I had a very easy twin pregnancy compared to other mothers and was very blessed to get two very healthy girls. If you would like to learn more about Preterm Labor follow the link below. Thank you for reading!

Preterm Labor


No comments:

Post a Comment