Monday, February 29, 2016

The Forbidden Word! Caesarean Section!


Hello everyone. I thought I would share some insight and shed some light on my own experience to hopefully ease the mind of first time Caesarean mothers to be.That one word is the the fear of most moms. Although it is now becoming more popular as the chosen way to have babies. When you are having twins it is not often that you are able to have a vaginal birth due to the positioning of the babies. I originally wanted a vaginal birth, but scheduled a c-section just in case the girls did not want to cooperate with me. Well needless to say they did not. Baby A (Olivia) was head down but sat in front of my cervix, so I was contracting but she was not sitting on my cervix to make me dilate. Baby B (Lilly) was breech, so going vaginally could potentially be very dangerous. So into surgery I went. My  c-section was at 8:10 am but I had to arrive to the Labor and Delivery 2 hours early due to monitory and needing to take antibiotics before the surgery. The time finally came and I walked into the surgery room, I was seriously scared out of my mind! This was my first pregnancy and I was about to have a major surgery in my option. They sat me on the T-shaped table while preparing everything around me. They told me after they had me completely prepared for surgery the would go get my husband. I sat on the table and had the surgery nurse standing in front of me, thankfully she had a hold of me when they stuck the needle in my back to numb the area because I would have moved. She helped keep me grounded and told me to keep breathing. Only seconds later I a lot of pressure mid back area where they were doing the spinal block. They choose not do do a epidural due to the surgery not being that long. The spinal block would only last long enough for them to get the girls out, sew me up and get me to recovery. It was a very odd feeling to have your ass become numb then it travel down to your toes. I could only describe the feeling as my lower half of my body had gone to sleep but I never got that tingly needle feeling you get when your the part of your body that went to sleep began to wake back up. I was cold the whole time due to them needing to keep the room cold so I was a bit shaky, it was also due to the drugs they gave me for the spinal block. My husband watched they whole thing as the pulled they girls out of my body. There was A LOT of pressure as the tried to push them out of the small opening they made in my lower abdomen to get them out. There were a few times I couldn't breath so well because they were so swashed in me that they had to pull Olivia up and out of my pelvis which meant she went into my lung area. I have to say the whole thing went by really quick, though the whole process took about an hour and a half. I was able to feel my right toes before they even finished sewing me up which started to worry me a bit but they told me it would take awhile before I would even feel anything in my abdominal area. I was sent into recovery and recovered very well. They wanted me to start walking a little after 6 hours, I was able to stand and walk a short distance to the wheelchair to go visit my girls in the NICU. At the 20 hour mark they took the bladder catheter out since I was doing so well. I must warn you the first time you urinate it WILL hurt, but it gets easier. Bring a pillow to use as a caution so when you laugh, cough or sneeze you can press it against you so it won't hurt so bad. After 24 hours I was finally off fluids. Ladies make sure you take stool softeners, you will need all the help you can get to make your first bowel movement as easy as possible because your abdominal muscles are non-existent so it will be really hard to push and it will really hurt. Make sure you do your research about c-sections and get advise from other moms. I looked on Pintrest a lot for stories and advice which really helped me through my recovery. I have attached some sites below that really helped me with info. Thanks for reading!

http://bestcsectionrecovery.com/
http://allthingssurrogacy.org/c-section-tips/
http://www.thegritsblog.com/2015/10/my-c-section-experience-part-1.html


No comments:

Post a Comment